• 23 Mar 2017
  • jane.potter

From 6 April 2017, there are two new tax allowances for individuals: £1,000 for trading income and £1,000 for rental income. These allow people who trade to a very small extent or receive small amounts of rent to receive that income free of tax and not worry about declaring it on a tax return.

The property income allowance applies to income which doesn’t qualify for rent-a-room relief, such as letting a driveway or garage. Where a furnished room is let in the taxpayer’s own home, the rent-a-room relief of £7,500 per year should be claimed instead.

Where the income exceeds £1,000, you can choose to deduct the allowance and declare the net income, ignoring any expenses. This method doesn’t allow you to claim a loss from the trade or property letting. Or you can deduct all allowable expenses and declare the net profit or loss.

Restrictions apply where the income is generated by a partnership or from transactions between a company and its employees. This prevents extraction of further tax-free income from your own company.

The income covered by these allowances is free of tax, but it must be declared for universal credit purposes.

Salary sacrifice phased out
Previous post
Business rates revision
Next post