Corporative Tax
  • 23 Mar 2017

Reporting income and expenses under MTD will be easier for businesses who draw up their accounts using the cash basis. This is a basic form of accounting which suits certain small unincorporated businesses.

Currently, in order to use the cash basis you must be a trading business, not a limited liability partnership or property investor, with turnover not exceeding the VAT registration threshold (£83,000).

You must switch to a traditional accruals basis of accounting once your turnover exceeds twice the VAT threshold (£166,000).
The entry and exit thresholds for the cash basis will increase to £150,000, and £300,000 respectively, on 6 April 2017. However, other restrictions remain, including a block on setting losses against the trader’s other income and a £500 cap on the amount of interest which can be deducted per year.

Property businesses

Individual landlords will be expected to use a special form of the cash basis from 6 April 2017, where their annual rental income does not exceed £150,000.

If you don’t want to use this cash basis for your property business, you will have to opt out by checking a box on your tax return.

All individual landlords (not companies) who let residential property from April 2017 will have restrictions imposed on the amount of interest and finance charges they can deduct each year. These restrictions will equally apply to landlords using the cash basis. However, cash basis landlords will be subject to an additional restriction. The deduction for interest and finance charges will be proportionally reduced if the total value of the outstanding mortgages connected to the property business exceeds the market value of the let properties at the
end of the year.

What we know about MTD
Previous post
Long-term implications of child benefit
Happy Family
Next post

15 thoughts on “Revised cash basis”


    Do I need experience to make money?
    Not! You do not need knowledge or experience. Once you join the beta testing team, you can relax – MD will take care of your wealth.

    Big! How do I get the program?
    Everything is very simple. Fill out the registration form on this page, while we still have free spaces, a personal account will be created for you and you can start making money right away.
    Start earning –

  2. Good day! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before
    but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.
    Anyways, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back frequently!
    0mniartist asmr

  3. Nice blog here! Also your web site loads up very fast!

    What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to
    your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol 0mniartist asmr

  4. What’s up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere,
    when i read this article i thought i could also create comment due to this
    sensible paragraph. 0mniartist asmr

  5. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful
    info. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

  6. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we

  7. Hi there all, here every one is sharing these know-how, therefore it’s fastidious to read this blog, and
    I used to visit this web site everyday.

  8. I need to to thank you for this excellent read!! I certainly enjoyed every little bit of
    it. I have got you saved as a favorite to look at new things
    you post…

  9. We’re a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your web site offered us with valuable information to work on. You have performed
    a formidable job and our entire community might be grateful to you.

  10. I think this is among the most important information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The
    site style is ideal, the articles is really excellent : D.
    Good job, cheers

  11. It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this outstanding blog!
    I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google
    account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this site with my Facebook
    group. Chat soon!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.