Handing Over Keys
  • 08 Nov 2017

Income you receive from letting a property must be declared to HMRC, and you should also claim any qualifying associated expenses related to that letting. There is a £7,500 annual allowance to cover income from letting a room in your own home to a lodger, but other rental income must be declared. This applies even if you didn’t set out to make a profit from your property, such as in the following situations.

Posted Abroad

People serving in the armed forces and those who work for multinational companies may be required to relocate to another country for significant periods. Where their UK home is let out the rent should have tax deducted by the letting agent, or tenant, under the non-resident landlord scheme, unless the landlord has been granted gross payment status under that scheme. The landlord also needs to declare the rental income on their UK tax return.

Pub Tenants

Pub landlords who live above their pub may let out their former home. Even if the rent income only covers the mortgage payments on their own property, the whole amount of income and expenses must be declared on the owner’s tax return.

Student House

Parents may buy a property for their offspring to live in while at university. Where the property is also let to other students, who pay rent to the parents, that income must be declared on the parents’ tax returns. As the property is not the main home of the parents the rental income doesn’t fall under the £7,500 rent-a-room relief exemption.

Care Home

An individual may partly fund the cost of their accommodation in a residential care home by letting their former home.

Although all the rental receipts are used to pay for the care home fees, the rent must be declared on the recipient’s tax return and tax will be payable on the profits.
Where you haven’t declared rental income correctly you can make a full disclosure to HMRC, and pay the tax due without fuss. This can be done by amending your last tax return, or if the non-declaration goes back a few years, use HMRC’s Let Property Campaign service. Talk to us if you’re affected.

Online Filing Of Tax Returns
Man On Phone And Laptop
Previous post
Selling Your UK Home
Sold Sign
Next post

100 thoughts on “Myths About Letting”

  1. Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time
    as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vibrant clear concept

  2. With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any
    issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?

    My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but
    it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do
    you know any methods to help prevent content from being stolen?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.

  3. I’m really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet
    browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog
    audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but
    looks great in Opera. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this

  4. That is really fascinating, You are an overly skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look ahead to looking for extra of your great post.

    Additionally, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks

  5. I got this web site from my friend who shared with
    me concerning this web page and now this time I am visiting this website and reading very informative content at this place.

  6. My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site.
    He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t
    imagine just how so much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

  7. Does your website have a contact page? I’m having a tough time
    locating it but, I’d like to shoot you an email.

    I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

  8. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging
    for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is great,
    let alone the content!

  9. Taxi moto line
    128 Rue la Boétie
    75008 Paris
    +33 6 51 612 712  

    Taxi moto paris

    If you desire to improve your experience simply keep visiting this
    website and be updated with the most up-to-date news posted here.

  10. Wonderful items from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great.
    I really like what you’ve got right here, certainly like what you’re saying and the best way through which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you continue to take care of to
    stay it smart. I cant wait to learn much more from you. That is actually a terrific site.

  11. Thanks for every other fantastic article.
    The place else could anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal method of writing?
    I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the look for such info.

  12. Hello, Neat post. There’s a problem with your website in internet explorer, might test this?
    IE still is the market chief and a big component of people will omit your excellent writing because of this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.